“I guide and advocate for my clients through challenging times in their lives by balancing legal strategy, courage of conviction, and compassion.”
Honors & Awards:
• Washingtonian Magazine, Top Lawyers, Family Law, 2021-2022
• Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2018-2023
• Maryland Super Lawyers magazine, Super Lawyer, 2016-2023
• Washington DC Super Lawyers magazine, Super Lawyer, 2020-2023
• Maryland Super Lawyers magazine, Top 100: Maryland Super Lawyers, 2019-2023
• Maryland Super Lawyers magazine, Top 50: Women Maryland Super Lawyers, 2019-2023
• Washington D.C. Super Lawyers magazine, Top 100: Washington D.C. Super Lawyers, 2020-2023
• Top 50: Women Washington D.C. Super Lawyers Magazine (2020 - 2022)
• The Maryland Daily Record newspaper, “Leadership in Law” award, 2020
• The Maryland Daily Record newspaper, “Leading Women” award, 2019
• Bethesda Magazine, Top Attorneys, Family Law, 2019
• Maryland Super Lawyers magazine, Rising Star, 2012-2015
Pilar concentrates her practice in the litigation and settlement of divorce, child custody and visitation, spousal and child support, property division, guardianship, adoptions, and criminal and traffic defense. She is also a faculty member of the Judicial College of Maryland where she presents to members of the judiciary as part of their continuing legal education.
Pilar frequently represents employees and spouses of international organizations such as the World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, and the International Monetary Fund. She also has extensive experience in cases involving domestic violence, including the litigation of protective orders and any accompanying criminal charges. Pilar also has vast experience in complex custody and property matters. In addition to her advocacy practice, Pilar acts as a mediator in custody and property disputes, assisting parties in resolving disputes without the need for costly litigation.
Pilar is the President-Elect of the Bar Association of Montgomery County and a member of the Judicial Selections Committee. Pilar is a “Master of the Bench” in the Montgomery County Inns of Court and a Montgomery County Bar Foundation Bar Leader. She is a former President of the Maryland Hispanic Bar Association and serves on the association’s Judicial Selections Committee. A Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation, she also serves on its Board of Directors and awards committee.
Pilar is an active member of the Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA). A graduate of the MSBA’s Leadership Academy, Pilar serves on the Leadership Academy Committee, is a former co-chair of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, and sits on the Board of Governors. In addition to practicing law, Pilar has been an adjunct professor at The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law in Washington, DC since 2010.